Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ST3AM3D_HAMS t1_ist2gq0 wrote

Hi everyone.

I have 2 faucets outside but I can't find a shut off (the basement is all drywalled).

  1. How do I locate the water line so I can add shut off before the winter?

  2. Should I install a valve closer to the faucet or the location of the valve doesn't really matter ?



Razkal719 t1_isvnhz0 wrote

Are they faucets or just sillcocks or spigots? Are they made to connect to a hose or is there actually a faucet and sink with separate hot and cold and a drain?

A standard sillcock, spigot or hosebib is generally a "freeze proof" which means it extends into the house usually 12 to 20 inches and closes the water flow there. This prevents frozen pipes and valves. Be sure to disconnect any hoses so the spigot can drain, newer modes will have an air break. You can also get a removable styrofoam cover to insulate them from the outside cold.


ST3AM3D_HAMS t1_it0e5ub wrote

I had to google those. I either have a hose Bibb or a spigot (I can't really tell the difference between the 2).

I guess I can't really tell if I have a frost free hose Bibb unless I open up the drywall and see if it extends into the house.


Razkal719 t1_it0nmd0 wrote

Can you post a picture? This is what a frost proof sill cock looks like.

Note that the handle is in a straight line with the shaft of the unit. There is a straight rod from the handle to the valve at the back. If your handle is at an angle then it's likely not a frost proof.


--Ty-- t1_isvihlz wrote

You sure there's no access panel hidden somewhere that reveals the valve? The basement finishers would have to be phenomenally stupid to cover something like that without providing an access panel.


ST3AM3D_HAMS t1_it0cgl6 wrote

I'm sure. There no access panels in the drywall, nor any valves in the furnace room where the main waterline splits off


--Ty-- t1_it0gjsn wrote

Damn. Well, in terms of figuring out which line leads to the spigot, and only the spigot, I have no idea how that would be possible without removing drywall to get a look.

r/Plumbing may know of some more advanced techniques to sound the line.