Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Razkal719 t1_isvnhz0 wrote

Are they faucets or just sillcocks or spigots? Are they made to connect to a hose or is there actually a faucet and sink with separate hot and cold and a drain?

A standard sillcock, spigot or hosebib is generally a "freeze proof" which means it extends into the house usually 12 to 20 inches and closes the water flow there. This prevents frozen pipes and valves. Be sure to disconnect any hoses so the spigot can drain, newer modes will have an air break. You can also get a removable styrofoam cover to insulate them from the outside cold.


ST3AM3D_HAMS t1_it0e5ub wrote

I had to google those. I either have a hose Bibb or a spigot (I can't really tell the difference between the 2).

I guess I can't really tell if I have a frost free hose Bibb unless I open up the drywall and see if it extends into the house.


Razkal719 t1_it0nmd0 wrote

Can you post a picture? This is what a frost proof sill cock looks like.

Note that the handle is in a straight line with the shaft of the unit. There is a straight rod from the handle to the valve at the back. If your handle is at an angle then it's likely not a frost proof.