Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ReapersOfTheShallow8 t1_j62fe96 wrote

Your question is somewhat unclear. If you mean get an internship and not be in college, then go on to work as engineer, ive never heard of that. I know in the US pretty much every employer requires at least a bachelor's, usually in engineering, but sometimes math and physics and maybe CS are okay. You need to know vector calculus and differential equations at a minimum, and if you do cryptography, at least asymmetric-key cryptography, you need to have a good foundation in group theory. You also need probability theory for cryptography in general, if not for developing encryption schemes, then for proof of different notions of security.


Fist_of_Stalin t1_j63wcil wrote

Thanks for getting to my post, my question was about EE.


ReapersOfTheShallow8 t1_j64j7qh wrote

The baseline is a usually bachelor's degree, depending on what you want to do requirements may vary slightly. You can get an internship without a degree but usually you need to at least be a currently enrolled sophomore in college. I forgot to mention, though, it is possible to get into the field as an engineering technician but even that requires a 2-year degree still. Thats a much more hands-on position usually, so if you want to do engineering and work with yojr hands thats probably the best route.

Someone mentioned a high-school internship. Ive never really heard of that, but i cant imagine what that would entail exactly as most (almost all?) high-school students lack any sort of training in the necessary software to be successful in engineering.


Ralphinader t1_j65enya wrote

You cannot officially approve engineered systems in the united states without a professional license. Many industries will reserve the title of engineer for only PEs

Requirements vary by state but generally include:

An education component. a 4 year degree in accredited engineering program.

Then pass two competency exams which are very difficult

then acquire 4 years of work experience.

Apply for PE license.

Continued education after receiving the license to keep it current.


StrumGently t1_j65rana wrote

That’s not true. You don’t need a license. Source: I’m a PhD in mechanical engineering.


ReapersOfTheShallow8 t1_j664w0g wrote

Thats not true. My Dad approves stuff and has worked as an engineer and his degree is in Physics. He's a pretty high up guy at Nasa now. I also have interned as civil engineer and my bachelors is Math.