Submitted by Mitchelk t3_10mz4jd in Music

When a song’s final chorus drops away all of the regular backing music found in the other choruses, so all that remains are vocals and sometimes a drum beat? Easy example would be ‘Hold On’ by Wilson Phillips.

Regular chorus is at 0:45, and the part I’m looking for a term/name of is at 2:47.

I would love to be able to search for new music that include one of these vocal breakdowns but can never find it.

Any help appreciated!



You must log in or register to comment.

Kiylyou t1_j661agl wrote

Like kissed by a rose? I think that is called a SEAL


dancingmeadow t1_j6621uo wrote

The voice and production on that track is as good as it gets.


dancingmeadow t1_j6623tf wrote

I always think of it as a "vocal breakdown".


cyclops_binoculars t1_j665lri wrote

Wouldn't that be a "bridge"?


modefi_ t1_j68galn wrote

Not sure why you got downvoted, "bridge" is the correct term here, especially in OP's example since the part they're referring to sets up for a return to a "full" chorus.



cyclops_binoculars t1_j68hc1e wrote

Not sure why I got downvoted, either. It would make more sense and be more proactive to "correct" me instead of anonymously negging me. Bur that's the internet, I guess.


Its_God_Here t1_j66l7qw wrote

A Capella breakdown, something like that


ajwitten5561 t1_j67jw4z wrote

En Vogue - Never Gonna Get It "Now, it's tiiiiime for the breakdown!"