Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ackmon t1_j84e8m0 wrote

From PA DMV page: (from the horse's mouth)

How To Title and Register Your Out-of-State Vehicle in Pennsylvania

All new residents are required to make application for Pennsylvania title and registration of their vehicle(s) within 20 days of establishing residency in Pennsylvania.

As indicated below, individuals are required to have a valid form of Pennsylvania identification in order to make application to title and register a vehicle in Pennsylvania. Although new residents have 60 days to obtain a Pennsylvania Driver's License, there is nothing to prevent them from obtaining their Pennsylvania Driver's License sooner.

Pennsylvania title procedures require that the out-of-state title be surrendered to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles when applying for a Pennsylvania title. The current lienholder of an out-of-state title may require that the vehicle owner refinance the balance of the outstanding lien through another lending institution and pay the out-of-state lienholder in full. A Pennsylvania Certificate of Title will only be issued when the out-of-state title is submitted with the completed Form MV-1, "Application for Certificate of Title." Likewise, a temporary Pennsylvania registration plate may only be issued when the out-of-state title is submitted with the application for Pennsylvania Certificate of Title.

Form MV-1 is not available online. This form must be completed by an authorized agent of the department. Most notaries, dealers, and messenger services are authorized agents and will be able to complete an application for title and issue you a temporary registration. Some authorized agents are online with the department and are able to process your title and/or registration request on the spot. To locate an On-Line Messenger in your area that processes new resident title and transfers online, visit the Locations Information Center.

In order to title and register your vehicle(s), you will need to bring the following items with you to the authorized agent:

A valid title for all of the vehicles you want to register in Pennsylvania, issued in your name, from your previous state; and

Proof of Pennsylvania insurance, such as a valid insurance identification card, declaration page of an insurance policy, a copy of a valid binder or a copy of an application for insurance to the Pennsylvania Assigned Risk Plan for all of the vehicles you will be registering. These documents must indicate both effective and expiration dates.

A tracing of the vehicle identification number (VIN) or the verification of the VIN by an inspection mechanic or notary public at a dealership or issuing agent.

Appropriate title, lien, registration fees and sales tax (if applicable). Make checks or money orders payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Please do not send cash.

If you are titling and registering a leased vehicle, the leasing company will also be required to complete Form MV-1L (PDF).

NOTE: A Power of Attorney may be required from the leasing company.

The Department will only allow agents to issue title and registration documents to customers who provide one of the following credentials for identification purposes:

A valid Pennsylvania Photo Driver's License

A valid Pennsylvania Photo Identification Card

A valid Pennsylvania Photo Exempt Driver's License

A valid Pennsylvania Photo Exempt Identification Card

A valid Pennsylvania 15-day temporary internet driver license or identification card renewal credential and expired DL/ID;

A valid Pennsylvania Camera Card and Pennsylvania Expired Identification Credential; or

A valid U.S. Armed Forces Common Access Card valid U.S. Armed Forces Common Access Card

Dependents of Armed Forces Personnel must provide a valid United States Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card (DD Form 1173)