Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

queensekhmet t1_iy8eql1 wrote

I have seen this website though. But it states that to get a photo ID in PA you have to surrender your previous DL, which just seems a little weird to me.


patrickoh37 t1_iy8jah2 wrote

That is common in any state you move to. I’ve had to do it in five states.


theyeoftheiris t1_iy8kixm wrote

I promise you that most states make you surrender your license now. I don't think they did like 10 years ago but most of them do now. You get a temporary paper license or one is printed on the spot depending on the state--not sure about PA.


queensekhmet t1_iy8qtfh wrote

Yeah I haven't gotten a new license in a while and don't remember them taking my old one or punching a hole in it. Guess that's just the norm now. And I guess I just figured they wouldn't have you surrender your old DL for a state ID, since they're not the same thing. Thanks everyone for your responses and help though.


qu33r0saurus t1_iy8nd03 wrote

You can only have one valid ID at a time. They give you your old id card back, but punch a hole through it.

If you’re here for college then you’d still be considered a permanent resident of Texas.


drewbaccaAWD t1_iy8w3v7 wrote

It's par for the course, you can only have one official residence and you can't physically live in two places at once. It's not like a dual citizenship across two countries where you pay taxes to both, states require you to be a resident of just one.

You can live in another state and keep your registration, plates, license, etc. if it's a temporarily thing... students, military, etc. but outside of those situations, ANY state, note just PA, would require you to change everything over within some timeline.

When you "surrender" your previous DL, they just punch a hole in it and give it back to you. Although I do agree that it's a bit antiquated now that all 50 states are on board with the REAL ID driver's license thing, so it's now a federal database. But it made sense to require this back when 50 states all handled their licensing differently... if someone didn't meet the qualifications in one state but did in another, honoring another state's laws can undermine your own state's laws.. you see it with other things outside of drivers licensing, like whether or not states honor another state's concealed carry for guns or whatever. The entire point is to be able to enforce your own laws and regulations when someone new relocates on a permanent basis.

Sometimes you just have to change it if you want something, in your case MM. I had to change mine over while living in WA so that I could get in-state tuition while I was there in the military (although states have since changed their laws regarding instate tuition for military/vets). Regarding your vehicle registration, you may want to look into that... it's usually a two out of three sort of thing where you don't have to change everything over. I don't recall my specific scenario now but I was legally ok to keep my car plates in PA when I lived in WA despite changing my license and my state of record for insurance purposes.