Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

OtHanski t1_ivff86u wrote

If you were to only map one person, how would you know which parts are specific to him and which parts are common between all humans?

But if you map enough genomes of people with different traits, you can start to actually figure out which genes might affect what or which genes are more or less common in a certain population.


could_use_a_snack t1_ivfqdd7 wrote

It's like a car. 99% of the parts are identical, if you looked at those parts you would be able to determine that it is a Toyota Corolla. But you need the other 1% to identify the trim package. And if something is different in that first 99% then you might want to take a real good look at it.