You must log in or register to comment.

inselchen t1_j2boxcx wrote

As a German, it’s a real (non joke) product which is actually somewhat useful for cleanly opening eggs. The word though is a bit of a joke advertising thing, Germans will understand it no problem (those words are vastly easier to understand than you might think, you just need to understand the parts) but it’s definitely not a “real” word that anyone would use in a non joking way. It’s basically telling the prospective buyer: “This is a real clever product that someone put enormous thought into designing and you’ll impress everyone if you have it”. Basically people will read it, laugh, and be like “ok it opens eggs”.


[deleted] t1_j2dx1cz wrote



fischberger t1_j2elbcd wrote

There are words for this in English too, double hung windows. You can open the top, bottom, or both. often you can tilt either piece in so you can clean the outside while staying in the house.


Zool2107 t1_j2ff3hg wrote

That's suprising for me, that these type of windows are considered "extra". If you install new windows here in central europe, this is the default, if you want something else other than this, you have to specifically ask for that.


Elduderino916 t1_j2bcvs7 wrote

Wheel of fortune in Germany must be nightmare level difficulty.


ZenCyn39 t1_j2bfpfd wrote

Imagine what the category boxes in jeopardy would be like


South_Bit1764 t1_j2f5rph wrote

I’ll take ^Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher for 400


DjRavix t1_j2bj73a wrote

Ow you should try Wordfeud in German


NoSupermarket1119 t1_j2behjk wrote

Like: eggshell predetermined breaking point initiator? It's one object and you have to give one name to describe it. No messing around with several words. That's not efficient!


MrHazard1 t1_j2dcc4t wrote

Germans love to name items as what they do. And it's very common to just put several words together if you want to be more specific. This case is a meme, where they sell the overly long name as a marketing gag. They could also just call it "Eierbrecher" or something


NoSupermarket1119 t1_j2dsk8w wrote

I'm German and I love how we put words together. Like Viertelzollinnensechskantsteckschlüsseleinsatz.


8euztnrqvn t1_j2bmcic wrote

Most people in Germany just call it an "Eierclacker", where "Eier" means "eggs", and "clack" is the sound that it makes when the metal ball hits the bottom of the metal rod to break the egg open. It also says "clack" on the box.

But "Eiersollbruchstellenverursacher" is funnier.


ToggoStar t1_j2cmd1o wrote

I'm German and I've never heard of "Eierclacker".


Verologist t1_j2d8cek wrote

Me neither. But if that’s a thing, it’s certainly spelled “Klacker” not “Clacker”.


8euztnrqvn t1_j2d8jph wrote

Interesting. Everyone I ever talked to in Germany calls it that. Everyone that I talked to about this specific thing, that is.

So what would you call it? Do you say Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher every time?


GoDannY1337 t1_j2etcva wrote

Yes, „Eierclacker“ just sounds weird, common.


afunkysongaday t1_j2czk7n wrote

Immer diese Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacherwerbeeinblendungen. Echt nervig.


VoxulusQuarUn t1_j2bcs86 wrote

Excuse you! That's Youcanusemultiplewordsifyouwant, but you don't have to.


albirich t1_j2bvtu7 wrote

Just because you remove spaces from between multiple words doesn't mean it's a single word. This is a hill I'm willing to die on.


KorgX3 t1_j2c8adk wrote

Narrator: And that's how World War III began.


albirich t1_j2c8gmy wrote

You're not a grammatical genius your space bar is broken!


NolanSyKinsley t1_j2cnjp5 wrote

It's german, they do that with descriptions of singular items. My favorite is a word they use to describe little fat kittens that still have their tails pointed straight up in the air: Autodromkatzerl, which translates to Bumper Car Kitten.


Almost all of our english language is built upon building words with other words as well to form a singular concept describing a singular item, they just weren't english words, they were latin, greek, germanic, french, or any other number of languages we bastardized. Helicopter = Helix which means spiral and pteron meaning wing, helix becoms helic add a joining vowel, and shorten pteron to pter and tada! helicopter(although the word was initially coined in french), this goes for pterodactyl as well, pteron, meaning wing, and dactyl from daktulos meaning finger, through middle english became dactyl, you get pterodactyl, I.E. wing fingers because the wings are made up of what would trace to the hands of other species, it is literally flying by flapping its fingers and you can tell that just by the name!


Indistinguishable, in = not, or opposite of, and distinguishable. Distinguishable is also made of two words, distinguish the verb, and able the adjective that modifies the word to show we are capable of performing the verb so we say "indistinguishable" instead of "I am not able to distinguish that". It's all words made up of more words man, you just don't know it!


DesertCookie_ t1_j2cwhec wrote

There are generally three big types of languages. One type's major feature is making compound words like this. German probably only is the mist well-known example. There even are entire languages that build sentences using one word. Every sentence is a single word. Those languages are incredibly hard to learn and actually said to only be intelligle to those who've grown up with them.


MrZwink t1_j2bpwn2 wrote

In German you can link words together to make new words. Giving rise to gems like:


Beef(meat) labeling overwatch assignment transferral law.


DropKikMonkey t1_j2dpog2 wrote

I always wanted a lobotomy kit… awesome Christmas present.


AutoModerator t1_j2bbu6k wrote

>This is a friendly reminder to read our rules. > >Memes, social media, hate-speech, and pornography are not allowed. > >Screenshots of Reddit are expressly forbidden, as are TikTok videos. > >Comics may only be posted on Wednesdays and Sundays. > >Rule-breaking posts may result in bans. > >Please also be wary of spam. >

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.


tackleberry2219 t1_j2bixf3 wrote

Yes, but what the hell is it?


dudeN7 t1_j2bjvxq wrote

Can't you read, it's an Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher. That should be pretty obvious.

(It's a "joke-tool" to create a breaking point on the shell of an egg where it's supposed to crack.)


yeeeshwtf t1_j2cnsf7 wrote

These arent really a joke tool though. Its a "showy" version of a tool to open soft boiled eggs.


sinker_fox t1_j2cfx8s wrote

Why is it so big? I've seen pictures of some that are only a few inches tall


steve_adr t1_j2cqsl8 wrote

O yeah, the something something sacher.


Pingondin t1_j2d0132 wrote

In french, we'd simply call that a "casse-œufs", it's way shorter, but I dare you non-native speakers to pronounce it correctly


thsvnlwn t1_j2d6rpo wrote

The product is real, but the name is a pun. Source: my German wife.


Nox_Dei OP t1_j2d6vzg wrote

Am very aware of it, hence why I posted it on /r/funny.


ZebraSoft8624 t1_j2d8lin wrote

I understand first two letters and I know it is something for eggs


MisterMysterios t1_j2fk4sm wrote

It is a egg-shell-predetermined-breaking-line-creator . The name is a pun due it being overly complicated for something simple as an egg-cracker. At least my step father bought one for the pun value of it.


ZebraSoft8624 t1_j2ddhqz wrote

I understand first two letters and I know it is something for eggs


petermjb t1_j2dhcyl wrote

You can do the same in Dutch. There are practically no limits.


ElGuano t1_j2dx805 wrote

The only thing I understand is that it is "das original."


LurkinGherkn t1_j2e3n4n wrote

That really is just words mishmashed together into one big word so yeah ur right


redheadedwoodpecker t1_j2eqmsj wrote

At least it’s the original, and not some cheap knock-off Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher.


BenMadena t1_j2fa3ot wrote

As a German, I can tell you that it´s utter nonsense. The word translates to "egg shell determined breaking point cause". The problem here is, that there is no way to cause a determined breaking point; you design them ...


MisterMysterios t1_j2fkbst wrote

It is not a "egg shell determined breaking point cause", but an "egg shell determined breaking point causer". It is designed to create a perfect breaking point for the egg. While the name is ridiculous, it is technically correct.


DittoMain t1_j2fabl9 wrote

My entire class was struggling with "lebensmittelsunvertraglichkeiten". This is even better.


FastWalkingShortGuy t1_j2blpgv wrote

That translates to "egg opener" in English.

The German way is not always the most efficient way, despite their reputation.


Monsi_ggnore t1_j2c3gtc wrote

No, it doesn’t.

This thing doesn’t open eggs, it just causes the first crack that let’s you peel them.

Which is why the word broadly translates to egg(planned)crackmaker.

The term is intentionally over the top technical as a joke.


FastWalkingShortGuy t1_j2c3y37 wrote

I know, I was making a joke about ridiculous German compound words.

The exact same item is actually marketed in English as an "Eggshell Topper Cutter Remover."


yeeeshwtf t1_j2co310 wrote

It actually does open them. Its meant for opening soft boiled aka minute eggs, not hard boiled.


Monsi_ggnore t1_j2cv6mf wrote

Nope. Both the word and the design will tell you that you’re wrong.

You put the egg under the “hat” at the bottom, then lift the sphere above the “hat” up to the end of the rod and let it go. When it hits the egg it will create a small break in the shell of the egg.


yeeeshwtf t1_j2cvint wrote

Lol which is exactly what tells you i am correct.

The egg in question will be sitting in a little cup to hold it upright. This tool gives a nice clean hole with minimal risk of getting bits of shell in the soft egg innards. Its just heing used wrong by a large enough percent of people that you get silly crap like you're thinking


[deleted] t1_j2cw9o6 wrote



yeeeshwtf t1_j2cwlj8 wrote

"Ive never seen this tool in use" would have saved you some typing there


Monsi_ggnore t1_j2cx1k3 wrote

You mean like this?

It breaks the shell and then you can peel off the top. Cya


yeeeshwtf t1_j2cx9h5 wrote

As you post a vid of it.. opening the shell.

You dont pic the shell off, you eat it straight out of the shell. Normally the egg isnt fully hard boiled though some still eat them this way at any level of cook.

Its amazing you STILL think you're right here 🤦‍♂️


Monsi_ggnore t1_j2cxqmv wrote

You need to learn what the word “open” means apparently. When you got that, you can proceed to the word “hole” and as a bonus check the video for all the soft boiled and even rare eggs that they use it on.

The tool breaks the shell. Period. It’s up to you to remove the top and thereby create a “hole”. You can even see in the first few seconds of the video how that is done. Cognitive dissonance much?


yeeeshwtf t1_j2cye6k wrote

I think YOU need to relearn what "open" means. And why are you trying to reverse course from "it just cracks it for easy peeling" and doubling down so hard on being wrong wrong?


Medium-Comfortable t1_j2d59ba wrote

And that's where you are wrong. As I have one of those, I can guarantee you, it doesn`t open the egg. The crack is not completely going through, and even if, you'd still have to open the egg. It does not form an opening. It creates a predetermined breaking line. Therefore its not an egg opener. How can I describe it... it is a >!causer for predetermined breaking lines in egg shells!< ... yup.


Ronny_Jotten t1_j2f9tcx wrote

It's meant for cracking egg shells. There is no restriction that it must only ever be used for soft-boiled eggs, never for hard-boiled (the manufacturer of the "Clack" says it's for "boiled eggs", and has a photo that appears to be hard-boiled) or raw eggs (as shown in the photo you linked). The idea that this is "wrong" use by people is just your wrong opinion.


Ronny_Jotten t1_j2f34ef wrote

English speakers might call what is generically known in German as an Eierköpfer, an "egg opener", or an "egg topper", "egg cracker", "egg cutter", etc. But the name of this particular product, Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher, translates to something like "eggshell break-point creator".