Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Chilltopjc t1_is321m7 wrote

If your job is based in NY, you must pay NY State income tax. If you reside in NYC you must pay NYC income tax as well.

If you move to NJ but your job is based in NY, you must still pay NY State income tax, but not NYC tax.

When you file your tax return, you’ll file in NYS as a nonresident. You must also file in NJ. But NJ will give you a credit for taxes paid to another state. NJ also gives you a break for property taxes paid on your home or rent paid. So I usually end up close to “break even” (meaning I don’t owe more or get much back than I had withheld for NYS income tax throughout the year).

If your job moves to NJ you’ll just file in NJ and pay NJ income tax.