Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

_Ricky_Bobby_ t1_itt68a2 wrote

What town is the ticket in ? That will make a big difference on the potential plea bargain


Notimportanthuman OP t1_itt6nxh wrote



_Ricky_Bobby_ t1_itt9bt9 wrote

Ok so here’s what you do. Go to court and you will be able to talk to the prosecutor. Explain that this is your first ticket (the prosecutor will have access to your abstract anyway) tell the prosecutor it would be greatly appreciated if they would amend the ticket to 39:4-67 (obstruction of traffic) - there’s like a 50% chance that’ll work. Be prepared if they say no to say that you understand and offer an alternative — some possible alternatives to ask for would be:

  1. unsafe operation of a motor vehicle 39:4-97.2 which is a $150 fine + $250 surcharge (one time surcharge) + $33 court cost — this option is more expensive but avoids points
  2. 43 in a 25 is a 4 point speeding ticket - there is one category below it for speeding 1-14 above the speed limit - you can request this as a downgrade take the 2 points and then take a defensive driving course online to get the points taken off — in addition to the points there would be a fine of $85-98 + $33 court cost.

Any fines could likely be paid via a payment plan but the judge would have to approve it (which they almost always do)

So Long as you don’t act like an egregious dickhead the prosecutor would almost certainly be willing to do one of those 3 options.