Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pils-nerd t1_j6fzdv7 wrote

The lack of water and the hydrophilic nature of sugar actually makes maple syrup a very poor home for bacterial growth. That's not to say that mold can't grow in syrup (it certainly can), but the only known type of mold that can grow in maple syrup is non toxic.


Dire88 t1_j6g210u wrote

Skim the gunk, reboil. Good as new.


Dannon35 t1_j6g2pmf wrote

I visited a sugar house that had samples on display that were over 50 years old. Looked good as new.


partial_birth t1_j6hsqa8 wrote

The geology museum by UVM has an old bottle with one gigantic sugar crystal in it, too.