mynameisneddy t1_j89xdhw wrote

The person eventually loses the ability to swallow as the disease progresses (speech and cognition are long gone). I guess you could keep them alive for a while with tube feeding, but that’s not normally done.


mynameisneddy t1_iuejqmt wrote

1080 is a terrible poison, it kills indiscriminately, is an exceptionally painful death and unlike anticoagulants there’s no antidote for accidental poisoning.

The only reason it’s widely used in NZ is there’s no realistic alternative against possum invasion to protect our millions of hectares of native forest other than dropping it from helicopters. It’s quite contentious though, and if there’s was a realistic alternative we’d use it.

And in populated areas anticoagulants are used, because 1080 is too dangerous.